Home Affairs Minister dismisses Dzaleka Tutsi-Hutu resentment reports

Minister of Home Affairs and Internal Security Grace Chiumia has refuted allegations that government and the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees-UNHCR are doing nothing on the growing resentment between the Tutsi and Hutu living at Dzaleka refugee camp.

The Minister was responding to an article published in the Nation newspaper of Monday, 5 June 2017 which claimed that police and United Nations High Commisioner for Refugees – UNHRC were not taking any action on the alleged issue.

Chiumia said the article was misleading and that the issue was just a misunderstanding between men at a drinking joint.

“We launched an investigation and this issue happened long time ago, in December last year where a man from Rwanda and another from Congo picked a fight on their way back from a drinking joint,” said Chiuma.

She urged the refugees in the camp to coexist and assured them of government’s commitment to providing a safe haven for them regardless of their country of origin or ethnicity.

Patricia Sinoya, Manager for Dzaleka Refugee Camp, confirmed that the camp is so peaceful and the police are doing their scheduled patrols.

“I was also surprised to read the article in the newspaper but I can assure you that we have tight security in the camp and we are working hand in hand with the community policing in keeping peace within the camp. So far, we haven’t had any conflict between the Hutu and Tutsi people,” said Sinoya.

The Hutu and Tutsi rivalry dates back to 1991 where almost 1 million Tutsi were killed by members of the Hutu majority government.mbcgovernment.mbc